Pennsylvania Bicycle Accident Attorneys
Warmer temperatures and more sunshine in the day means families will be outside enjoying the spring and summer weather. Unfortunately, many families will experience tragedy as bicycle accidents occur throughout our community.
If you or a loved one is injured in a bicycle accident, you deserve justice. Fellerman & Ciarimboli will fight for your rights.
Bicycle Accidents in the United States
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 857 bicyclists killed in traffic crashes in the United States in 2018. Most often, bicycle accidents occur when a car collides with a bicyclist or sideswipes a bike rider.
The NHTSA estimates that:
- In 2017, more bicyclist deaths occurred in urban areas compared to rural regions.
- Men were eight times more likely to be involved in a fatal bicyclist death than women.
- Most deaths with bicyclists occur between 6 and 9 p.m. when the sun is beginning to set and cyclists may be harder to see.
Though bicyclists are to obey the rules of the road just as an automobile driver would, these accidents still occur.
Top Causes of Bicyclist Accidents, Collisions
Some of the most common causes of accidents can be a combination of rider and car collisions that are a result of fault by both parties. Such causes include:
- Distracting riders and drivers
- Riding too close to a line of traffic
- Intersections and merging lanes
- Passing by sidewalks, parking lots and driveways
- A car passenger opens a door into a cyclist riding by.
While these causes are due to bikes and cars colliding, many crashes have nothing to do with other vehicles on the road. Many bicyclists are injured or killed in accidents due to property negligence, faulty products, and more.
These causes include:
- A cyclist falls due to a poorly-maintained roadway.
- The bicycle is defective or damaged.
- A cyclist is attacked by an animal.
- A cyclist collides with a pedestrian or another cyclist.
- A cyclist falls off the bike due to intoxication.
- A cyclist collides with an object, such as debris.
Road Rage, Aggressive Drivers Against Bicyclists
It is not uncommon for drivers to blame bicyclists for accidents that occur on the roadways. Pennsylvania’s vehicle code includes bicycles as vehicles to share the road with automobiles. Unfortunately, many drivers do not want bikes on the roadways, especially in certain areas where traffic may be heavy.
In some extreme cases, cyclists may encounter an aggressive driver who exhibits unsavory and potentially dangerous behaviors including:
- Pushing cyclists off the road
- Confrontational language
If you are a cyclist and you encounter these behaviors, it is best to not engage with the driver. Instead, pull off the road if safe. If the behavior continues, call the police.
Compensation for Bicycle Accidents
Even if the fault is clear, recovering damages after a bicycle accident can be difficult. It is always best to speak with an attorney before you sign anything. In many cases, the other driver may try to show you were both at fault, leaving you at the discretion of your car and health insurance policy.
But you don’t have to navigate this alone.
PA Bicycle Accident Attorneys: Fellerman & Ciarimboli
The Philadelphia, Wilkes-Barre, and Scranton bicycle accident lawyers at Fellerman & Ciarimboli have spent their careers fighting for those injured in any type of auto accident. We know how complicated these accidents can be, that’s why you need a strong legal team fighting beside you.
If you or someone you love has been involved in a bicycle accident in Philadelphia, Northeast Pennsylvania, or anywhere in the Keystone State, don’t delay. The Scranton car accident lawyers at Fellerman & Ciarimboli fight for the injured. Contact us today for a free consultation.