Attorney Patti Grande Rieder is an attorney based in Lackawanna County PA. She earned a Bachelor of Science Degree in History and Political Science from the University of Scranton, Scranton PA, and a Juris Doctorate from Catholic University, The Columbus School of Law. While in law school, she was awarded the American Jurisprudence Award for excellence in Agency and Partnership Law and Family Law. She also earned a Letter of Distinction from Associate Professor Fred W. Bennett for achievement in Trial Advocacy. Post-graduation, the Honorable Richard P. Conaboy, Chief Judge of the Middle District of Pennsylvania, appointed Attorney Grande Rieder to a federal clerkship where she gained exceptional research and writing skills, as well as case management of complex federal legal matters and constitutional issues. In 1993, Grande Rieder was appointed to a second federal clerkship by the Honorable Thomas I. Vanaskie, also a District Judge in the Middle District of Pennsylvania. In 2007, the Honorable Chester T. Harhut, President Judge of the Lackawanna County Court of Common Pleas appointed Grande Rieder to a clerkship in the Lackawanna County Court of Common Pleas, followed by a second state clerkship with the Honorable Thomas J. Munley, who succeeded Harhut as the President Judge. In addition to her established work as a law clerk, Grande Rieder, served as a Hearing Master in the Lackawanna County Court of Common Pleas where she assisted in Dependency Court, Status Court, as well as Custody and Orphan’s Court matters. As a Special Hearing Master, Grande Rieder participated in various aspects of initial case management and resolution and made recommendations to the particular Judge presiding over the matter. Attorney Grande Rieder’s experience in both federal and state court fine-tuned her ability to engage in high-level analytical legal skills and provided her with unique insight into both trial and appellate-level work.
Between clerkships, Grande Rieder rounded out her professional experience in the private sector, where she was an associate at the Philadelphia firm of Schnader, Harrison, Segal, and Lewis, as well as a sole practitioner. Attorney Grande Rieder eventually joined the Powell Law Firm in Scranton, Pennsylvania. At Powell Law, Grande Rieder added to her extensive legal experience and knowledge by becoming part of a team of lawyers handling personal injury and medical malpractice matters, as well as appellate work, including the important case of State Police of Pennsylvania v. WCAB (Bushta). In State Police of Pennsylvania v. WCAB (Bushta), the Pennsylvania Supreme Court held the benefits Officer Bushta received after being injured in the line of duty were Heart and Lung Act benefits, not WCA benefits, and, thus, were not subject to subrogation by the Pennsylvania State Police against his settlement with a third-party tortfeasor. This ruling clarified the law in Pennsylvania and ensured those enumerated employees working in highly dangerous occupations, like police officers and firefighters, receive the proper compensation and protection when injured in the line of duty. As a result of her experience and excellence in Civil Litigation, Attorney Grande Rieder has been named among the Lawyers of Distinction.
Memberships and Associations
- Named Northeast Woman early 2000’s
- President of Peckville Business and Professional Woman’s Club
- Appointed to the Lackawanna County Commission for Women
- President of the Lakeland Elementary PTA
- Instructor, Penn State University, Continuing Education Department (17 years (1991-2008)
- Facilitator, PROSPER
- Mock Trial Advisor, Lakeland Jr./Sr. Highschool (Advanced the team to States)
- Mock Trial Advisor, Scranton Preparatory School (Current)
- Developed Mini-Mock Trial Program for Lakeland Elementary School for 5th and 6th graders (Met with Students once a week for several months teaching the judicial system and how to construct and present a legal case. At the conclusion of the program, the students present a trial in the Courtroom with selected family members serving as members of the jury).
- Hamidian Training Institute – President of the Board.
- Current President of the Lackawanna County Federation of Democratic Women
- UNICO, Scranton Chapter
- Eynon/Archbald Lion Club
- Lackawanna County, Pro Bono Volunteer
- Progressive Women of Northeast Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Lackawanna County Bar Association
- Solicitor, Lakeland School District
- Member, Society of Irish Women
- Readers’ Choice Award Winner, The Valley Advantage 2019
- Named Northeast Woman early 2000’s