Scranton Medical Malpractice Lawyers
When Patients are Hurt by Medical Professionals
You should be able to expect the medical professionals who treat you to do just that. Yet medical malpractice and errors remain among one of the leading causes of preventable deaths in the country. If you were hurt by the substandard care provided by a doctor, nurse, surgeon, pharmacist, or any other medical provider, then the next thing you should do is speak with a medical malpractice attorney in Scranton from Fellerman & Ciarimboli Law PC.
We have recovered more than $110 million for our clients since we first opened our doors in 2000. Decades later, our reputation for being able to fight insurance companies and medical groups has only grown. You can trust us to take the difficult cases that other law firms avoid because our experience and abilities give us the confidence needed to steer them to success.
Were you hurt by your doctor? Call (877) 989-4878 now or fill out our online contact form.
Various Forms of Medical Malpractice
Every medical professional has a duty to provide their patients with medical care that meets accepted standards. When a medical professional makes a decision or provides a treatment that is outside the norm, it is a serious problem. When that decision or treatment hurts a patient, worsens their illness, or fails to prevent a new symptom from developing, it could constitute medical malpractice.
There are many forms of medical malpractice, such as:
- Misdiagnosing one condition as another
- Not diagnosing a medical condition at all
- Taking too long to diagnose a condition
- Surgical errors
- Prescribing the wrong type or dosage of medication
- Anesthesia errors
- Birth injuries affecting mothers and newborns
- Clerical errors made by hospital administration staff
Working with a Medical Malpractice Lawyer
You should not try to handle a medical malpractice claim on your own. Not only are insurance companies always ready to defend a medical malpractice case with every resource they have at their disposal, but liability laws and case law surrounding the average medical malpractice case are extremely complex. Due to the gray areas and loopholes in the law, you could be certain your doctor hurt you but still not have a valid medical malpractice claim to file and pursue.
Working with an experienced Scranton medical malpractice attorney from Fellerman & Ciarimboli Law PC will give you access to years of legal experience. With us handling your claim, you can be ready for whatever the opposition throws at you as your case develops. We can also make certain your claim is legally valid and pursuable, which could save you time, energy, and resources if we determine it does not meet all criteria needed to file a claim.
Assuming that your claim is viable, though, we can also strengthen it through investigative work and professional networking. Our lawyers are on a first-name basis with medical experts from various fields. We can use them as expert witnesses to embolden your claim and better calculate your total damages.
How Do I Know I Have a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit?
If you believe that you have been the victim of any of the above-mentioned forms of malpractice, you can determine whether or not you have a case based on these 3 elements:
- That your doctor or nurse violated the standard of care that they owed you - This means that any other doctor in the same situation with the same information would not have made the same decision they did
- That this violation increased the risk of harm or clearly caused your injuries
- That you suffered clear damages from the doctor or nurse's error
Who Can Be Held Responsible for Medical Malpractice?
There are many parties that can be found liable for medical malpractice cases, depending on what caused your injury. To name a few:
- The hospital itself - Whether there was a paperwork mix-up, negligence due to understaffing, or one of the hospital's doctors acted in a manner that led to your injuries, the hospital may be held responsible for damages
- The pharmacy - If there is a prescription error or the pharmacist fails to warn you of side-effects of the drug you are being prescribed and this results in your injury, the pharmacy may be held responsible
- Drug manufacturers - If the drug itself caused you harm, the manufacturer may be held liable for producing a faulty or dangerous drug
Do Most Medical Malpractice Cases Settle?
Yes. While every person has a right to bring their case to court, about 95% of malpractice claims settle outside of court. This is because going to court is a very expensive process for both the hospital and the injured victim. In most cases, settling outside of court is beneficial for both parties. However, in those cases where you are not offered a fair settlement outside of court, our team is ready to fight to ensure you get a fair settlement in court.
What Kind of Compensation Can I Receive in a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit?
If you are injured by a negligent doctor or nursing staff, you may be eligible to receive compensation for any of the following types of damages:
- Medical expenses - Particularly if the negligence resulted in a need for further surgeries to correct the issue
- Lost wages/lost earning capacity - If your injuries resulted in your inability to return to work temporarily or permanently
- Pain and suffering - If the medical negligence resulted in serious pain or suffering that you or a loved one were forced to endure
- Loss of companionship - If the medical error resulted in your inability to participate in your marriage in the same way as before, whether emotionally, sexually, or physically, you may have grounds to pursue compensation
Initial Consultations are Free
The start of a medical malpractice claim is usually the most difficult step to take. People often think they should not try to sue their doctor because they were trying their best when something went wrong. Others might believe that insurance company tactics make it impossible to win a medical malpractice claim.
Take the stress out of the situation by speaking with Fellerman & Ciarimboli Law PC and our team of medical malpractice lawyers in Scranton. We offer no-cost, no-obligation case consultations to give our clients more information without requiring any payments upfront. It is the simplest and least stressful way to learn more about your rights after a medical malpractice incident.
If you suffered at the hands of a medical professional, you deserve justice. Use this online contact form to begin your case.
Work with UsWe Truly Work for You
Our Clients Time is Valuable
Every case is unique and we spend the time working hard on your case, so you can focus on everything else.
Experienced Trial Attorneys
For 20 years our attorney's haven fought hard for clients and will not back away from a trial.
Ready and Available to Help You
Schedule a free initial consultation with our team.
Our Results Make a Difference
We've recovered hundreds of millions for our clients.